Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Problem! Sticky valves...



Due to a sticky valve that kissed the piston, I have to open the engine. I was concerned by braking exhaust studs. I broke only one on the top; for the bunch holding the manifold, I used a torch and wd40 on everyone of them and patience paid off.


I had problem with to head studs. This one was stuck in the head and the other (Which I broke) was stuck in the block.


Surprise! A steel wire was wedged between the head and the block! First I have seen this.










A lot of sticky varnish is on the top of the cylinders. I'll use paint thinner and I might lightly hone the cylinders thereafter.


This one was really stuck in the head. It lifted the head while I unscrewed it, which is not good on a DS due to the wet sleeves that might get undone from the bottom, but the sleeves stayed down.



little kiss to the piston. The valve is OK.


No trace on the piston.

The intake valves were stuck solid due to a very sticky varnish. I had to use a heat gun and paint thinner to get them out. I even used a torch for one of them.


The water chamber in the head is very clean.


The valves are lapped...

... and the combustion chambers are clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment